It was a full week of brainstorming and deliberations at the 57th Annual International Conference and Exhibition of the Nigerian Mining and Geoscience Society held in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State Capital. Stakeholders from far and near gathered at the main hall of the Presidential hotel in a bid to proffer solutions to the myriad of problems facing Nigeria's mining and geoscience industries and discuss ways to make the mining and explorations sector sustainable for the benefit of Nigerians.
Tagged “Garden City 2022”, the event was held from 13th to 19th of March 2022 with 850 participants recorded. A panel discussion that formed the basis for the gathering had the theme, “Geoscience, Mining and Environmental Sustainability”, a topic that aptly reflects the increasing global emphasis on the need to enhance long-term environmental quality in all human activities and mitigate the adverse impact of climate change and environmental issues related to oil and gas exploitation in the Niger Delta and the country in general.
The discussions and interactions threw more light on the devastation of lands and communities due to exploration activities in the Niger Delta and particularly focus on areas like Ogoni where 65 sites were listed as contaminated and requiring a clean up. Whilst recognising the need to engage in sustainable mining and exploration practices, the Society came up with some recommendations, including the need for the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development to intensify efforts towards environmentally sustainable mining activities by embracing new technology and engage in a knowledge-based approach to complement on-going measures in the sector.
Highlight of the conference was the institution of a new executive committee and members in council, which saw the Director General and Chief Executive Officer of the National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency emerge Second Vice President of the Society. The full list includes;
(1) President: Alabo C. D. Charles, FNMGS
(2) VP: Prof A. S. Olatunji, FNMGS
(3) VP: Dr (Engr) U. A. Hassan, FNMGS
(4) Gen Sec: Dr Godwin A. Alo
(5) Asst. Gen Sec: Engr H. T. Bolarinwa (6)Treasurer: Prof T. K. S. Abam, FNMGS
(7) Fin Sec: Mrs Omidiran Olufunke
(8) Awards Chairman: Prof J. I. Omada, FNMGS
(9) Publicity Secretary: Mr Prosper Ogbunike
(10) Editor in Chief: Prof Olusola J. Ojo, FNMGS
(11) DLP: Hon (Dr) Mathew Oyedokun
(12) Protocol Officer: Mrs Lauretta Omoigberale, FNMGS
(13) Immediate Past President: Engr O. S. Nkom, FNMGS